Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What type of discharges and separations make a Veteran eligible for benefits?

​A discharge must be "honorable." Discharges "under honorable conditions" and "general" discharges do not establish eligibility for Chapter 30.

How is entitlement charged?

​Veterans are charged one full day of entitlement for each day of full-time benefits paid. VA can extend entitlement to the end of a term, quarter, or semester if the ending date of an entitlement falls within a term, quarter, or semester.

  What training may Veterans take?

Veterans may receive benefits for a wide variety of training, including: 

  • Undergraduate Degree 
  • Independent study program leading to a standard college degree 
  • Courses leading to a certificate in Law Enforcement or Corrections 
  • Refresher, remedial and deficiency training

Veterans who have questions about receiving benefits for a program should contact the Veterans Affairs Coordinator at (850) 201-8406.

How can Veterans determine what classes to take?

​The TCC catalog outlines all majors available at TCC and what courses are required for graduation in each. All courses must be drawn directly from the outline as it appears in the catalog in effect at the time of enrollment into the college. Students will be certified only for those courses required for the degree chosen.

Are Veterans eligible for tutorial assistance?

Veterans may receive a special allowance for individual tutoring if they are attending classes at half time or greater enrollment. To qualify, the veteran must have a deficiency in a subject making tutoring necessary. TCC must certify a tutor's qualifications and the hours of tutoring.

Are Veterans eligible for Federal Work-Study?

​Veterans may be eligible for an additional allowance under a Federal Work-Study program. The Work-Study program allows a VA student to earn the Federal or state minimum wage (whichever is higher) for up to 1,300 hours per year (25 hours per week). VA Work-Study students may be utilized only for "VA related work".

Must Veterans maintain Satisfactory Attendance, Conduct and Progress?

​Once a veteran begins receiving benefits, he or she must maintain satisfactory attendance, conduct and progress. If a veteran does not meet the Standards set by TCC, the certifying official must notify VA, which will stop benefits.

What happens if enrollment is changed?

​If a veteran withdraws from a course after the end of the drop period, he/she may have to repay all benefits for the course unless it can be shown that the change was due to mitigating circumstances. VA defines "mitigating circumstances" as unavoidable and unexpected events that directly interfere with the pursuit of a course and are beyond personal control.

If a veteran withdraws from one or more courses after the end of drop, VA will reduce or stop benefits on the date of reduction or withdrawal.

Special Note: TCC offers sessions referred to as "accelerated sessions" by the VA. This means the VA will accelerate pay status in proportion to the rate of the accelerated sessions. For this reason, veterans should check with the TCC Veterans Affairs Office to be sure of the actual rate of acceleration.

Can Veterans audit a course and get paid for it?

​No, the VA will not pay for audit courses. Educational benefits are paid only for classes for which a student earns credit. Since credit is not given for audited courses, the VA will not pay for them.

​How do Veterans receive monthly payments?

​Payments are direct deposited from VA.

Can someone on Active Duty receive both VA education benefits and tuition assistance for the same course?

​The only time a person on active duty can receive money from VA and the military for the same course is under the "top-up" provisions. These provisions apply only to persons eligible for Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB) Chapter 30.

 Where do I go for help?

All forms necessary for application for VA Educational Benefits are available at the TCC Veterans Affairs Office located in the Computer Technology (CT) Building, Room 206. The office is open Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

For additional information or assistance, please call the Veterans Affairs Coordinator at (850) 201-8406.